Because of your need to prevent or control dental decay (caries) or to reduce tooth sensitivity, our dental office in Durham, North Carolina, has recommended the use of custom-fitted trays to apply fluoride to your teeth daily. From well-documented research and from our own observations over many years, we know that use of these trays and fluoride will prevent new decay almost totally and will slow down currently present decay. Additionally, regular use will desensitize sensitive root surfaces. However, you must be consistent in carrying out the following described procedures daily, just before going to bed.
- Near bedtime, brush your teeth well and floss them. Follow through on any additionally prescribed cleaning methods that we have recommended, such as a proxy brush or rubber tip. You may do this procedure earlier in the evening, but do not eat or drink after the treatment until the next morning.
- Place about six small drops of ClinPro 5000 into each tray, spacing the drops equally around the tray.
- This is a medication that requires a prescription. If you need more of the ClinPro 5000, you may stop by the office any time to purchase more, or we can give you a written script to take to your pharmacy, or we would be happy to phone in a renewal to the pharmacy of your choosing.
- Place the trays over your teeth and seat them correctly. They are not interchangeable: only the upper tray will fit on the upper teeth and only the lower tray will fit on the lower teeth.
- Wear the trays for five minutes. Do not drink or eat with the trays in your mouth.
- After five minutes, remove the trays carefully and expectorate any fluoride from your teeth. Wash the trays with water. You may want to use your toothbrush to help remove any residual blue fluoride.
- Place your washed trays upside down in the container provided to let them drain and dry before the next use. Put the container in a convenient place and out of reach of children and pets.
- Please continue this therapy indefinitely.
If you are looking for home fluoride treatments, ask our dentist, Dr. Alex Fleming, and the rest of our team about them at your next visit or give us a call today at 919-682-5327 for more information.